SIMetrix/SIMPLIS Elements is our demonstration free version that can be used without license or copying restrictions, for personal, educational and business use.
Virtually all features of the full version are enabled but we do restrict the size of the circuit that can be simulated. These limits are generous enough for them to be used for real work and we are happy for our users to do so. SIMetrix/SIMPLIS Elements comes with the fully featured schematic editor and waveform viewer found in the full version.
SIMetrix/SIMPLIS Elements is available for Windows® systems only.
Included within SIMetrix/SIMPLIS Elements are:
- Schematic editor
- SIMetrix simulator (circuit size limitation)
- SIMPLIS simulator (circuit size limitation)
- Waveform viewer
There are no limits on the complexity of arbitrary source expressions or arbitrary logic block definitions.
There are also no limits on the size of schematic that can be drawn, saved or printed. You are welcome to use SIMetrix/SIMPLIS Elements as a free general purpose schematic drawing tool.
The following product limitations apply:
- The command line is not present, preventing any features that require the command line
- User scripts
- The Verilog-A compiler is not available. (Pro and Elite full licenses only)
- Verilog-HDL mixed signal simulation is not available. (Pro and Elite full licenses only)
- Custom menu and key definitions
- The PSpice translator is limited to small schematics
- SPICE3 raw file import
- Safe Operating Area testing is not available
- The menu/key editor is not available
- Encrypted models are not supported
Some of the above features can be enabled for 30 days using the unlock feature. See menu Help | Unlock Features...
SIMetrix Circuit Size Limits
There is a limit to the size of circuit that can be simulated. The exact limits for the SIMetrix simulator are:
- 140 analog nodes (internal and external - see note below)
- 360 digital nodes
- 720 digital ports
- 300 digital components
- 360 digital outputs
The node count includes all circuit nodes and some of these may be internal to device models. Opamp models, for example, will always have a number of internal nodes depending its complexity.
SIMPLIS Circuit Size Limits
The exact limits for the SIMPLIS simulator are:
- A total of no more than 15 state variables. A capacitor or an inductor each requires one state variable. Each time-varying or small-signal AC source requires one state variable, with the exception of SINusoidal or COSinusoidal sources, which require two state variables per source.
- A total of no more than 10 capacitors or inductors combined.
- A total of no more than six switches, simple or transistor.
- A total of no more than six logic gates.
- A total of no more than 26 "states." Each PWL element requires one state. Each switch requires one state. Each time-varying source requires one state. Each logic gate requires one state.
- A total of no more than 100 new topologies. 100 topologies will be enough for simple switching circuits that use simple models only. More complex circuits or circuits that have more complicated models may exceed this limit
SIMetrix/SIMPLIS Elements requires Windows® 10 (Home, Pro or Enterprise), Windows® 8/8.1 (Standard, Professional or Enterprise) or Windows® 7 (Home Premium or better).